noun (plural envelopes)
- A paper or cardboard wrapper used to enclose and small, flat items, especially letters, for mailing.
- Something that envelops; a wrapping
- A bag containing the lifting gas of a balloon or airship.
- (geometry) A mathematical curve, surface, or higher-dimensional object that is the tangent to a given family of lines, curves, surfaces, or higher-dimensional objects.
- (electronics) A curve that bounds another curve or set of curves, as the modulation envelope of an amplitude-modulated carrier wave in electronics.
- (music) The shape of a sound, which may be controlled by a synthesizer or sampler.
- (computing) The information used for routing an email that is transmitted with the email but not part of its contents.
- (biology) An enclosing structure or cover, such as a membrane.
- (engineering) The set of limitations within which a technological system can perform safely and effectively.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for envelope for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of envelope