- The result or outcome of a cause. See
- Usage notes, usage notes below.
- The of the hurricane was a devastated landscape.
- (film) An illusion produced by technical means (as in "special effect")
- ''The of flying was most convincing.
- (soundeng) An alteration in sound after it has been produced by an instrument.
- I use an echo here to make the sound more mysterious.
- (soundeng) A device for producing an alteration in sound produced by an instrument.
- I just bought a couple of great effects.
- The state of being binding and enforceable, as in a rule, policy, or law.
- The new law will come into on the first day of next year.
- To make or bring about; to implement.
Etymology: From effect (French: effet), from effectus.
- The best way to change is to work with existing stakeholders.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for effect for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of effect