- A silent person; a person who does not talk.
- An unintelligent person.
verb (dummies, dummying, dummied)
- Don't be such a !
- A figure of a person or animal used by a ventriloquist.
- Something constructed with the size and form of a human, to be used in place of a person.
- To understand the effects of the accident, we dropped a from the rooftop.
- A deliberately nonfunctional device or tool used in place of a functional one.
- The hammer and drill in the display are dummies.
- (context, Australia, UK) A pacifier.
- The baby wants its .
- (bridge) The partner of the winning bidder, who shows his or her hand.
- A bodily gesture meant to fool an opposing player in sport; feints.
- (linguistics) A word serving only to make a construction grammatical.
- The pronoun "it" in "It's a mystery why this happened" is a .
- (complang) An unused parameter or value.
- If <code>flag1</code> is false, the other parameters are dummies.
- To make a mock-up or prototype version of something, without some or all off its intended functionality.
- The carpenters dummied some props for the rehearsals.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for dummy for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of dummy