noun (plural: duals)
- Of an item that is one of a pair, the other item in the pair.
- (geometry) Of a regular polyhedron with V vertices and F faces, the regular polyhedron having F vertices and V faces.
adjective (no (compar) or (superl))
- The tetrahedron is the dual of the cube.
- (grammar) dual number The grammatical number of a noun marking two of something (as in singular, dual, plural), sometimes referring to two of anything (a couple of, exactly two of), or a chirality-marked pair (as in left and right, as with gloves or shoes) or in some languages as a discourse marker, "between you and me". A few languages display trial number.
- (mathematics) Of a vector in an inner product space, the linear functional corresponding to taking the inner product with that vector. The set of all duals is a vector space called the dual space.
- Characterized by having two (usually equivalent) components.
Etymology: dualis, two (adjective), from duoLatin, duo, two, + adjective suffix -alis
- dual-headed computer
- (grammar) Pertaining to grammatical number (as in singular and plural), referring to two of something, such as a pair of shoes, in the context of the singular, plural and in some languages, trial number, trial grammatical number. Modern Arabic displays a dual number, as did Homeric Greek.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for dual for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of dual