- An animal, member of the genus Canis (probably descended from the common wolf) that has been domesticated by man for thousands of years; occurs in many breeds. Scientific name: Canis lupus familiaris.
- The barked all night.
- A male dog, as opposed to a bitch (a female dog.)
- (derogatory) A dull, unattractive girl or woman.
- She"s a real .
- (slang) A man.
- You lucky !
- (derogatory) Someone who is morally reprehensible.
- You dirty .
verb (dog, g, ed)
- 1599 " Robert Greene, Alphonsus, King of Aragon (1599). Act 3.
- :Blasphemous dog, I wonder that the earth
- :Doth cease from renting vnderneath thy feete,
- :To swallow vp those cankred corpes of thine.
- A hinged catch that fits into a notch of a ratchet to move a wheel forward or prevent it from moving backward.
- A metal support for logs in a fireplace.
- The dogs were too hot to touch.
- A hot dog.
- (context, poker, _, slang) underdog, Underdog
- (transitive) To go after with the intent to catch.
- (transitive) To follow in an annoying way, to constantly be affected by.
Etymology: From (term, docga, lang=ang), of unknown origin, via (term, dogge, lang=enm). In the 16th century, it superseded (term, hund, lang=ang) and was adopted by many Continental languages, but its precise origin is one of the greatest unknowns of etymology.
- The woman cursed him so that trouble would his every step.
- (context, transitive, nautical) To fasten a hatch securely.
- It is very important to down these hatches...
- (context, transitive, emerging usage in, _, UK) To watch, or participate, in sexual activity in a public place, on the pretence of walking the dog; see also dogging.
- I admit that I like to at my local country park.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for dog for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of dog