- (uncountable) The act or process of dividing anything.
- Each of the separate parts of something resulting from division.
- (arithmetic) (uncountable) The process of divide, dividing a number by another.
- (arithmetic) A calculation that involves this process.
Etymology:¬†From Latin divisio, noun of process form from perfect passive participle divisus, divided, from dividere, to divide
- I've got ten divisions to do for my homework.
- A large military unit, usually made up of two or three brigades.
- A section of a large company.
- (context, biology, taxonomy) A rank (Latin divisio) below kingdom and above class, particularly used of plant, plants or fungus, fungi, also (particularly of animals) called a phylum; a taxon at that rank
- Magnolias belong to the Magnoliophyta.
- A disagreement; a difference of viewpoint between two sides of an argument.
- (music) A florid instrumental variation of a melody in the 17th and 18th centuries, originally conceived as the dividing of each of a succession of long notes into several short ones.
- (music) A set of pipes in a pipe organ which are independently controlled and supplied.
- A concept whereby a common group of debtors are only responsible for their proportionate sum of the total debt.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for division for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†Full Definition of division