verb (deriv, ing)
- (context, transitive) To obtain or receive (something) from something else.
- (context, transitive, logic) To deduce (a conclusion) by reasoning.
- (context, transitive, linguistics) To find the derivation of (a word or phrase).
- (context, transitive, chemistry) To create (a compound) from another by means of a reaction.
- (context, intransitive) To originate or stem (from).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for derive for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of derive