- Abandoned property; a ship abandoned at sea.
- An abandoned or forsaken person; an outcast.
- 1911: A rather pathetic figure, the Lady Frances, a beautiful woman, still in fresh middle age, and yet, by a strange chance, the last of what only twenty years ago was a goodly fleet. " Arthur Conan Doyle, "The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax" (Norton 2005, p.1364)
- A negligent person.
- Abandoned, forsaken; (of ship) abandoned at sea; dilapidated, neglected.
Etymology: Latin derelictus past participle of derelinquere 'forsake, abandon' from de + relinquere 'leave, forsake'.
- There was a ship on the island.
- Negligent in performing a duty.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for derelict for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of derelict