- (countable) A delicate item of clothing
- Don't put that in with your jeans, it's a delicate!
- (uncountable) Specifically underwear or lingerie.
- Easily damaged or requiring careful handling
Etymology: Middle English delicat < Latin delicatus
- Those clothes are delicate
- ''The negotiations were very delicate
- Characterized by a fine structure or thin lines
- Her face was delicate
- The spider wove a delicate web
- There was a delicate pattern of frost on the window
- Intended for delicate items
- Set the washing machine to the delicate cycle
- (colloquial) Unwell, especially because of having drunk too much alcohol.
- Please don't speak so loudly - I'm feeling a bit delicate this morning
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for delicate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of delicate