- A soft mass of material stuffed into a cloth bag, used for comfort or support; for sitting on, kneeling on, resting one's head on etc.
- Something acting as a cushion, especially to absorb a shock or impact.
- (context, sports, billiards, snooker, pool) The lip around a table in cue sports which absorbs some of the impact of the billiard balls and bounces them back.
Etymology: From coissin (modern coussin), ultimately from coxa "hip, thigh".
- to provide a soft pillow cushion
- to absorb or deaden the impact of something
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for cushion for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of cushion