- A plant, especially a cereal, grown for food.
- The natural production for a specific year, particularly of plants.
- A group, cluster or collection of things occuring at the same time.
- a crop of idea
- The lashing end of a whip
- An entire short whip, especially as used in horse-riding; a riding crop.
- A rocky outcrop.
- The act of
- Verb, cropping.
- A short haircut.
- (archaic, or, dialect) The head of a flower, especially when picked; an ear of corn; the top branches of a tree.
- (anatomy) A pouch-like part of the alimentary tract of some birds (and some other animals), used to store food before digestion, or for regurgitation; a craw.
verb (crop, p, ed)
- 1892: The bird gave a gulp, and I felt the stone pass along its gullet and down into its . " Arthur Conan Doyle, "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle" (Norton 2005 p.221)
- (architecture) the foliate part of a finial.
Etymology: cropp "head or top of a sprout or herb".
- (transitive) To remove the top end of something, especially a plant.
- (transitive) To cut (especially hair or an animal's tail or ears) short.
- (transitive) To remove the outer parts of a photography or image in order to frame the subject better.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for crop for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of crop