- a friend, acquaintance, or partner; someone with whom one spends time or keeps company
Etymology: From compaignon (French: compagnon), from companionem (nominative of companio) (prefix, com, panis) (with + bread).
- His dog has been his trusted for the last five years.
- (dated) a person employed to accompany or travel with another
- (nautical) The framework on the quarterdeck of a sailing ship through which daylight entered the cabins below
- (nautical) The covering of a hatchway on an upper deck which leads to the companionway; the stairs themselves
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for companion for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of companion