- (uncountable) A food made from ground roasted cocoa beans.
- Chocolate is a very popular treat.
- (countable) A single, small piece of confectionery made from chocolate.
- He bought her some chocolates as a gift.
- (context, uncountable, colour) A dark, reddish-brown colour/color, like that of chocolate.
- <table><tr><td>chocolate colour: </td><td bgcolor="
- 61463E" width="80"> </td></tr></table>
- As he cooked it the whole thing turned a rich deep .
Etymology: Often said to come from (Nahu.) xocolatl (e.g. American Heritage Dictionary 2000) or chocolatl (e.g. http://dictionary.com dictionary.com 2006), which would be derived from xococ, bitter, and atl, water, (with an irregular change of x to ch). Dakin and Wichmann (2000) propose that the chocol- element refers to a special wooden stick used to prepare chocolate.However, the form xocolatl is not directly attested, and chocolatl does not appear in Nahuatl until the mid-18th century, which may indicate another origin. The word may come instead from a (Mayan.) language.In any case, the word chocolate reached English via .
- Made of or containing chocolate.
- (colour) Having a dark reddish-brown colour/color.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for chocolate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of chocolate