- an item of furniture used to sit on or in comprising a seat, legs, back, and sometimes arm rests, for use by one person. Compare stool, couch, sofa, settee, loveseat and bench.
- (slang) (the chair) the electric chair.
- the seating position of a particular musician in an orchestra.
- blocks that support and hold railroad track in position, and similar devices.
- chairperson; a non-gender-specific form of chairman
- To act as chairperson.
Etymology: From chaire, from cathedra.
- Bob will tomorrow's meeting.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for chair for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of chair