verb (chaf, ing)
- head, Heat excited by friction.
- Injury or wear caused by friction.
- vexation, Vexation; irritation of mind; rage.
Etymology: (term, chaufen, , to warm, lang=enm) < (term, chaufer, lang=fro) (modern French (term, chauffer, lang=fr)) < (term, calefacere, lang=la), (term, calfacere, , to make warm, lang=la) < (term, calere, , to be warm, lang=la) + (term, facere, , to make, lang=la). See (term, caldron).
- (transitive) To excite heat in by friction; to rub in order to stimulate and make warm.
- (transitive) To excite passion or anger in; to fret; to irritate.
- (transitive) To fret and wear by rubbing; as, to chafe a cable.
- (intransitive) To rub; to come together so as to wear by rubbing; to wear by friction.
- (intransitive) To be worn by rubbing; as, a cable chafes.
- (intransitive) To have a feeling of vexation; to be vexed; to fret; to be irritated.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for chafe for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of chafe