- A vehicle that moves independently, steered by a driver mostly for personal transportation. See also motorcar or automobile.
Etymology: From Middle English carre < Norman-French carre < Latin carra, neuter plural of carrus (four-wheeled baggage wagon) < Celtic carr (two-wheeled chariot) < Gaulish karros < Proto-Indo-European
- She drove her to the mall.
- A nonpowered unit in a railroad train.
- The conductor linked the cars to the locomotive.
- A passenger-carrying unit in a subway or elevated train, whether powered or not.
- From the front-most of the subway, he filmed the progress through the tunnel.
- The moving, load-carrying component of an elevator.
- Fix the of the express elevator - the door is sticking.
- The passenger-carrying portion of certain amusement park rides, such as Ferris wheels.
- The child's dream was to ride the front of the roller-coaster with her hands straight up for the whole ride.
- krsos < PIE base
- kers- (to run).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for car for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of car