- (uncountable) The slender, flexible stem of plants such as bamboo, reed, or the like.
- (uncountable) The plant itself.
- (uncountable) sugar cane.
- (countable) A short wooden or bamboo rod or stick used for corporal punishment.
- (the cane; uncountable) Corporal punishment consisting of a beating with a cane.
verb (can, ing)
- The teacher gave his student the cane for throwing paper.
- (countable) A strong short staff used for support during walking by the disabled or infirm.
- After breaking his leg, he needed to use a cane to walk.
- (countable) A long collapsible (and usually white for improved visibility) wooden, metal or plastic rod used by blind people to feel for obstacle, obstacles in their path.
- (context, UK, slang) To strike or beat, notably with a cane or similar implement; to destroy.
- (context, UK, slang) To do something well, in a competent fashion.
Etymology: From (term, cane, , lang=fro), from (term, canna), from Ancient Greek (term, , , tr=kanna, sc=polytonic, reed), perhaps from Semitic (compare Hebrew (term, , , tr=qaneh, reed)).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for cane for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of cane