verb (candl, ing)
- A light source consisting of a wick embedded in a solid, flammable substance such as wax, tallow, or paraffin.
- An old unit of luminous intensity, now replaced by the SI unit candela.
- In forestry, a fast growing, light colored, upward-growing shoot on a pine tree in the spring. As growth slows in summer, the shoot darkens and is no longer highlighted to one"s view.
Etymology: Old English candel.
- (embryology) A method of observing the growth of an embryo inside an egg, using a bright light source.
- In pottery A method for drying greenware prior to beginning of the firing cycle, setting the kiln at 200Â° Celsius until all water is removed from the greenware.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for candle for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of candle