verb (inf=-, can, -, could, couth (obsolete except in adjective use))
- A more or less cylindrical vessel for liquids, usually of steel or aluminium.
- A container used to carry and dispense water for plants (a watering can).
- A tin-plate canister, often cylindrical, for preserved foods such as fruit, meat, or fish.
- (context, US, euphemism) toilet, bathroom.
- (context, US, euphemism) buttocks.
- (slang) headphones
- (context, obsolete, transitive) To know.
- (context, modal auxiliary verb, defective) To know how to; to be able to.
- She speak English, French, and German.
- I play football.
- Can you remember your fifth birthday?
- (context, modal auxiliary verb, defective, colloquial) may, May; to be permitted or enabled to.
- You go outside and play when you're finished with your homework.
- Can I use your pen?
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for can for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of can