- (in a person) The state of being calm; peacefulness; absence of worry, anger, fear or other strong negative emotion.
- (in a place or situation) The state of being calm; absence of noise and disturbance.
- A period of time without wind.
- (transitive) To make calm.
- (intransitive) To become calm.
Etymology: From calmeFrench, calme < Old calmaItalian, calma. calmaItalian, Calma may derive from cauma "heat of the mid-day sun" < Ancient Greek (polytonic, á) (kauma) "heat" (especially of the sun), from (polytonic, ) (kaiÅ) "I burn", or possibly from caleo, caleÅ < Ancient Greek (Doric) o (of the Ionic "burning")
- (context, of a person) peaceful, quiet
- (context, of a place or situation) Free of noise and disturbance.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for calm for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of calm