- A telephone conversation.
- I received several phone calls today.
- I received several calls today.
- A social visit.
- I paid a to a dear friend of mine.
- A cry or shout.
- He heard a from the other side of the room.
- The characteristic cry of a bird.
- That sound is the distinctive of the cuckoo bird.
- A beckoning or summoning.
- I had to yield to the of the wild.
- (finance): A contract to buy stock (See w:stock_option for further reading); compare put.
- (Cricket) The act of calling to the other batsman.
- (Cricket) The state of being the batsman whose role it is to call (depends on where the ball goes.)
- (Medicine) An overnight duty in the hospital.
- (computing) The act of jumping to a subprogram, saving the means to return to the point.
- A statement of a particular state, or rule, made in many games such as bridge, craps, jacks, and so on.
- There was a 20 dollar bet on the table, and my was 9.
- To request, summon, or beckon.
- That person is hurt, for help!
- To cry or shout.
- I can't see you. Call out to me so I can find you.
- To contact by telephone.
- Why don't you me in the morning.
- To pay a social visit.
- We could always on a friend.
- To name or refer to.
- Why don't we dispense with the formalities. Please me Al.
- (reflexively: to be called) Of a person, to have as one's name; of a thing, to have as its name.
- I'm called John.
- A very tall building is called a skyscraper.
- (Cricket) (of a batsman): To shout directions to the other batsman on whether or not they shoud take a run.
- (Cricket) (of a fielder): To shout to other fielders that he intends to take a catch (thus avoiding collisions.)
- (poker): To match or equal the amount of poker chips in the pot as the player that bet.
- (with an object preceded by the preposition for) To require, demand
- Verb, demand.
- This job calls for patience.
- To state, or invoke a rule, in many games such as bridge, craps, jacks, and so on.
- My partner called 2 spades.
- Old English ceallian
- Old Norse kalla.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for call for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of call