noun (es, -)
- (countable) a person's occupation, work, or trade
Etymology: (suffix, busy, ness)
- He is in the motor .
- (uncountable) commercial, industrial, or professional dealings
- He's such a poor cook, I can't believe he's still in !
- (countable) (context, business) a specific commercial enterprise or establishment
- I was left my father's .
- (uncountable) volume or amount of commercial trade
- Business has been slow lately.
- (uncountable) commercial dealings; patronage
- I shall take my elsewhere.
- (uncountable) something involving one personally
- That's none of your .
- (uncountable) serious work or endeavour
- Let's get down to .
- (uncountable) (context, slang, UK) something very good, top quality (possibly from the bee's knees)
- the business
- (countable) The collective noun for a group of ferrets.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for business for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of business