verb (breathes, breathing, breathed)
- (intransitive) To repeatedly draw air into, and expel it from, the lungs in order to extract oxygen from it and excrete waste products.
- (intransitive) To exchange gases with the environment.
Etymology: See breath.
- Garments made of
- and similar new materials breathe well and keep the skin relatively dry during exercise.
- (intransitive) Figuratively, to be relaxed or calm.
- ...a child's peaceful breathing...
- ...the wind breathes through the trees...
- (intransitive) Figuratively, to live.
- I will not allow it, as long as I still .
- (transitive) To repeately draw (something) into, and expel (that thing) from, the lungs.
- Try not to too much smoke.
- (transitive) To whisper quietly.
- He breathed the words into her ear, but she understood them all.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for breathe for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of breathe