verb (inf=to break up, breaks up, breaking up, broke up, broken up)
- (intransitive) To break or separate into pieces; to disintegrate or come apart.
- It broke up when it hit the ground.
- (intransitive, idiom) To end a relationship.
- She broke up with her boyfriend last week.
- (intransitive, idiom) To dissolve; to part.
- ''The meeting finally broke up after a three-hour discussion.
- (intransitive, idiom) Of a telephone conversation, to cease to be understandable because of a bad connection.
- You are breaking up. Can you repeat that?
- (transitive) To break or separate into pieces.
- Break up the cheese and put it in the salad.
- (transitive, idiom) To stop a fight; to separate people who are fighting.
- The police came in to the disturbance.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for break up for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of break up