verb (brak, ing)
- A device used to slow or stop a vehicle, by friction; often installed on the wheels.
- something that slows or stops an action
- (nautical) the handle, manned by up to six men, by which a ship's pump was worked
- a thicket, or an area overgrown with briers etc.
- A type of machine for bending sheet metal. (See wikipedia:Brake (box and pan), wikipedia.)
- To operate a brake.
- To be stopped or slowed, as if by a brake.
- (archaic) past tense of break
Etymology: From braeke.
- Exodus 32:3, KJV: And all the people brake off the golden earrings...
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for brake for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of brake