verb to blot (transitive or intransitive)
- a blemish, spot or stain made by a coloured substance
- (context, by extension) a stain on someone's reputation or character; a disgrace
- (biochemistry) the Southern blot analysis (and derived Northern and Western) analytical techniques
- (games) an exposed piece in backgammon
Etymology: Originally "blemish," perhaps from Old Norse blettr, or from Old French bloche "clod of earth."
- to cause a blot (on something) by spilling a coloured substance
- to soak up, or absorb liquid
- to hide, obscure or obliterate something
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for blot for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of blot