adjective (bitterer, bitterest, more)
- (usually in the plural bitters) A liquid or powder, made from bitter herbs, used in mixed drinks or as a tonic.
- A type of beer heavily flavored with hops.
- Having an acrid taste (usually from a base, basic substance)
Etymology: Old English, bitter
- The coffee was bitter.
- harsh, Harsh, piercing or stinging
- A bitter wind blew from the north.
- 1999: It was at the end of February, ... when the world was cold, and a bitter wind howled down the moors.... — Neil Gaiman, Stardust, pg. 31 (Perennial paperback edition)
- hateful, Hateful or hostile
- They're bitter enemies.
- cynical, Cynical and resentful
- I've been bitter ever since that defeat.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for bitter for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of bitter