noun (wikipedia, Bias (disambiguation), bias)
(es, -, pl2=biasses)
- (countable) (uncountable) inclination towards something; predisposition, partiality, prejudice, preference, predilection
verb (bias, es)
- 1748. David Hume. Enquiries concerning the human understanding and concerning the principles of moral. London: Oxford University Press, 1973. Â§ 4.
- : nature has pointed out a mixed kind of life as most suitable to the human race, and secretly admonished them to allow none of these biasses to draw too much
- (countable) (textile) the diagonal line between warp and weft in a woven fabric
- (electronics) a voltage or current applied for example to a transistor electrode
- (statistics) the difference between the expectation of the sample estimator and the true population value, which reduces the representativeness of the estimator by systematically distorting it
- (transitive) To place bias upon; to influence.
Etymology: From biasis, from Old biais.
- Our prejudices our views.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for bias for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of bias