noun (plural: belligerents)
- country or other group which starts or carries on a war
- The U.N. sent a treaty proposal to the belligerents.
Etymology: From Latin present participle belligerens (waging war), from bellum (war), + gerere (to wage, to carry on).
- Of or pertaining to war.
- Engaged in war, warring.
- Eager to go to war, warlike.
- aggressive, Aggressively hostile, eager to fight.
- Verb, Acting violently towards others.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for belligerent for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of belligerent