- A signal fire to notify of the approach of an enemy, or to give any notice, commonly of warning or guiding.
- (nautical) A signal or conspicuous mark erected on an eminence near the shore, or moored in shoal water, as a guide to mariners.
- A post or buoy placed over a shoal or bank to warn vessels of danger; also a signal mark on land. (FM 55-501).
- A high hill or other easily distinguishable object near the shore which can serve as guidance for seafarers.
- That which gives notice of danger.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for beacon for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of beacon