- An institution where one can place and borrow money and take care of financial affairs.
- A branch office of such an institution
- A safe and guaranteed place of storage for and retrieval of important items or goods.
- blood bank
- sperm bank
- data bank
- A row or panel of items stored or grouped together.
- a of switches
- An edge of river or other watercourse.
- (nautical) An elevation, or rising ground, under the sea; a shallow area of shifting sand, gravel, mud, and so forth (for example, a sandbank or mudbank).
- An embankment.
- (context, aviation) The incline of an aircraft, especially during a turn.
- A row of keys on a musical keyboard or the equivalent on a typewriter keyboard.
- (context, intransitive, aircraft) To roll or incline laterally in order to turn.
- (context, intransitive) To deal with a bank or financial institution.
Etymology: From banco, "bench", from the benches in public places from which the first bankers in Renaissance Italy would operate.
- He banked with Barclays.
- (context, transitive) To put into a .
- I'm going to the money.
- (context, transitive) To cause (an aircraft) to .
- (context, transitive) To form into a or heap, to bank up.
- (context, transitive) To cover the embers of a fire with ashes in order to retain heat.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for bank for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of bank