- Any substance, especially food, used in catching fish, or other animals, by alluring them to a hook, snare, trap, or net.
- Anything which allure, allures; a lure; enticement; temptation.
- A portion of food or drink, as a refreshment taken on a journey; also, a stop for rest and refreshment.
- A light or hasty luncheon.
Etymology: From (term, beita, , food, lang=non).
- To attract fish or other animals in order to catch them.
- The act to worry or torment a chained or confined animal by setting dogs upon it for sport.
- To intentionally annoy, torment, or threaten by constant rebukes or threats.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for bait for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of bait