- (tennis) a stroke made across the chest from the off-hand side to the racquet hand side; a stroke during which the back of the hand faces the shot.
- Handwriting that leans to the left
- (context, Ultimate Frisbee) the standard throw; a throw during which the disc begins on the off-hand side and travels across the chest to be released from the opposite side.
- to execute a backhand stroke or throw
- to slap with the back of ones hand
- (handwriting) any left slanting handwriting
- (of strokes or throws) in the backhand style
- (Icehockey) Any play that uses the back side of the hockey stick
Etymology: From back + hand
- He scored on a backhand shot.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for backhand for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of backhand