- (arithmetic) The arithmetic mean.
adjective ((compar) more average, (superl) most average)
- The average of 10, 20 and 24 is (10 + 20 + 24)/3 = 18.
- (arithmetic) Any measure of central tendency, especially the mean, median or mode (see Usage notes below).
- In various sports, an indication of a player's ability calculated from his score, scoring record, etc.
- batting average
- (not comparable) Constituting or relating to the average.
Etymology: From avarie, from avaria.
- The average age of the participants was 18.5.
- Neither very good nor very bad; rated somewhere in the middle of all others in the same category.
- I soon found I was only an average chess player.
- The average family will not need the more expensive features of this product.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for average for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of average