verb (archetypes, archetyping, archetyped)
- An original model of which all other similar persons, objects, or concepts are merely derivative, copied, patterned, or emulated; a prototype
- (italbrac, usage conflict) A person, story, concept, or object that is based on a known archetype; and archetypal character.
- An ideal example of something; a quintessence.
- (italbrac, Jungian psychology) A pattern of thought, present in an individual's unconscious, inherited from the past collective experience of humanity.
Etymology: :from archetypum, from arkhetypon "pattern, model" neut. of adj. arkhetypos "first-moulded", from - arkhe- "first" + typos "model, type, blow, mark of a blow".
- To depict as, model using or otherwise associate a subject or object with an archetype.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for archetype for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of archetype