- By one's self; apart from, or exclusive of, others; single; solo; solitary;—applied to a person or thing.
- I can't ask for help because I am . That is, “I am alone” means nobody else is near.
- Of or by itself; by themselves; without any thing more or any one else; without a sharer; only.
- Man shall not live by bread . —Luke iv. 4. Here, “bread alone” means bread and nothing else.
- Unique; without peer or equal:
- Euclid has looked on Beauty bare. -- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Note: The adjective alone commonly follows its noun.
- By one's self; apart from, or exclusive of, others; solo
Etymology: From all + one, Old English al one, all allone, Anglo-Saxon an one, alone. See all, one, lone.
- She walked home .
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for alone for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of alone