- (Obsolete): That which is born or brought forth prematurely; an abortion. - Shakespeare, Richard III, I-iii
- (Obsolete): A fruitless effort or issue.
- A medicine to which is attributed the property of causing abortion, abortifacient - Dunglison
Etymology: Latin abortivus, from aboriri. See abort, (verb)
- (Rare): Produced by abortion; born prematurely; as, an child.
- (Obsolete): Made from the skin of a still-born animal; as, vellum.
- (Obsolete): Rendering fruitless or ineffectual.
- Plunged in that gulf. Milton
- Coming to naught; failing in its effect; miscarrying; fruitless; unsuccessful; as, an attempt.
- An enterprise. - Prescott
- (biology): Imperfectly formed or developed; rudimentary; sterile; as, an organ, stamen, ovule, etc.
- (medicine): Causing abortion; as, medicines. - Parr
- (medicine): Cutting short; as, abortive treatment of typhoid fever.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for abortive for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of abortive