- An injury, such as a cut or tear, to a (usually external) part of the body.
- 1883: w:Robert Louis Stevenson, Robert Louis Stevenson, w:Treasure Island, Treasure Island
- :I went below, and did what I could for my ; it pained me a good deal, and still bled freely; but it was neither deep nor dangerous, nor did it greatly gall me when I used my arm.
- A hurt to a person's feelings.
- It took a long time to get over the of that insult.
- (criminal law) An injury to a person by which the skin is divided or its continuity broken.
- (transitive) To hurt or injure (someone) by cutting, piercing, or tearing the skin.
- The police officer was wounded during the fight that ensued.
- (transitive) To hurt (a person's feelings).
- The actor's pride was wounded when the leading role went to his rival.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for wound for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of wound