- a pin in the side of a boat which acts as a fulcrum for the oars
verb (thol, ing)
- 1973: The oars squeaked against the tholes, the blades dipped with a steady beat, and the sun beat down: the boat crept across the sea. " Patrick O'Brian, HMS Surprise
- to suffer or undergo something
- 1922: Seventy beds keeps he there teeming mothers are wont that they lie for to and bring forth bairns hale so God"s angel to Mary quoth. " James Joyce, Ulysses
- to endure, to tolerate, to put up with
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for thole for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of thole