- A substitute (usually of a person, position or role).
- A person or animal that acts as a substitute for the social or pastoral role of another, such as a surrogate mother.
- (context, chiefly, UK) A deputy for a bishop in granting licences for marriage.
- In some US states, including New York, a judge who has power over the settlement of wills, estates and other legal affairs.
Etymology: From Latin surrogatus, perfect passive participle of surrogare, ask; a variant of subrogare, from sub, under + rogare, ask.
- (normally a modifier of the noun) Of, concerning, relating to or acting as a substitute.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for surrogate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of surrogate