- Someone who starts something.
Etymology: to start + -er
- The person who starts a race by firing a gun or waving a flag
- (baseball) A pitcher who starts games as opposed to a relief pitcher
- Something that starts something.
- An electric motor that starts an internal combustion engine
- A device that initiates the flow of high voltage electricity in a fluorescent lamp
- A yeast culture used to start a fermentation process
- The first course of a meal, consisting of a small, usually savoury, dish.
- (sports) A player in the starting lineup
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for starter for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of starter