verb (slak, ing)
- To go out; to become extinct.
- To abate; to become less decided.
- To slacken; to become relaxed.
- To become mixed with water, so that a true chemical combination takes place; as, the lime slakes.
- To dash water on a hot surface to cool it.
- Notes for landscape tones. Long sequences of tempera. Light filtered through the essence of lemons. An air full of brick-dust - sweet smelling brick dust and the odour of hot pavements slaked with water. Lawrence Durrell. Justine. Faber & Faber 1961 p.14
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for slake for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of slake