proper noun (es, -)
- (as a plural noun) The people of Scotland (less correct than Scots or Scottish).
- The Scottish dialect of English.
- (uncountable) Whisky made in Scotland
- (countable) Any variety of Scotch.
- (countable) A glass of Scotch.
- Of or from Scotland.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Scotch for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Scotch
noun (es, -)
- A block for a wheel or other round object.
- (transitive) To prevent (something) from being successful.
- The rain scotched his plans of going to the beach.
- (transitive) To debunk or discredit an idea or rumor.
- ''The prime minister scotched rumors of his resignation.
- (transitive) To block a wheel or other round object.
- The workers stopped the rig on an incline and scotched the wheels.
- (transitive, textile manufacturing) To beat yarn in order to break up slugs and align the threads.
- Yarn is scotched immediately after it has been dried and while it is still warm. http://www.google.com/patents?id=DXdGAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP3&vq=scotched&dq=scotching
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for scotch for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of scotch