- A medicine which preserves or defends against disease; a preventive.
- American usage only (dated) Specifically, a prophylactic condom.
- 1977, Human Life Center, International Review of Natural Family Planning, Human Life Center, St. John's University (1977), p. 2,
- It is not clear whether such education is to be directed to homosexuals (for whom prophylactics are not a contraceptive) or to heterosexuals as well (for whom prophylactics are a contraceptive).
- 1994, Mary Louise Roberts, Civilization Without Sexes: reconstructing gender in postwar France, 1917-1927, University of Chicago Press (1994), p. 96,
- Given the widespread use of coitus interruptus and male prophylactics as contraceptive practices in France …
- 2000, Peter Parnell and John Irving, The Cider House Rules: Here in St. Cloud's, Dramatists Play Service, Inc. (2000), p. 46,
- Some men put the on just the tip of the penis: this is a mistake, because the prophylactic will come off.
- prophylactical, Prophylactical.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for prophylactic for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of prophylactic