- Anything that points or is used for pointing.
- A needle-like component of a timepiece or measuring device that indicates the time or the current reading of the device.
- A breed of hunting dog.
- (complang) A variable which holds the address of a memory location where, presumeably, a value is stored.
- (computing) An icon that indicates the position of the mouse; a cursor.
- A tip, a bit of advice (usually plural.)
Etymology: pointVerb, to point + -er
- The instructor gave me some pointers on writing a good paper.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for pointer for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of pointer