- (Armor) Protective armor for a horse's breast.
- 1786: The Poitrinal, Pectoral, or Breast Plate was formed of plates of metal rivetted together, which covered the breast and shoulders of the horse, it was commonly adorned with foliage, or other ornaments engraved or embossed. — Francis Grose, A Treatise on Ancient Armour and Weapons, page 30.
- (Armor) A covering or protecting for the breast.
- (ecclesiastical) A breastplate, esp. that worn by the Jewish high person.
- (ecclesiastical) A clasp or a cross worn on the breast.
- A medicine for diseases of the chest organs, especially the lungs.
- Of or pertaining to the breast, or chest; as, the pectoral muscles.
- Relating to, or good for, diseases of the chest or lungs; as, a pectoral remedy.
- (zoology) Having the breast conspicuously colored; as, the pectoral sandpiper.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for pectoral for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of pectoral