- A person who has risen, climbed up, or has been promoted from his class, especially through acquisition of wealth, rights, or political authority but has not gained social acceptance by those within the new class.
- 2001 January 31, Francis Wheen, "The whole truth about Peter's friends", The Guardian
- : But the favourite's power and influence provoke intense ill-feeling among other courtiers, who regard him as a sinister, usurping with ideas above his station, or perhaps even a sorcerer.
- Being a parvenu; also, like or having the characteristics of a parvenu.
Etymology: From (term, pervenire) through (term, parvenu, lang=fr).
- 2001, Norman Birnbaum, After Progress, Oxford University Press
- : The Progressives were of the educated middle class, angry at the rule of financiers and industrialists.
- 2003, Edith Grossman (translator), Gabriel García Mí¡rquez, Living to Tell the Tale (2002), Chapter 1
- : The majority of the adults, however, viewed Luisa Santiaga as the precious jewel of a rich and powerful family whom a telegraph operator was courting not for love but self-interest.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for parvenu for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of parvenu