noun (rfc-level, Noun at L4+ not in L3 POS section)
- A thing that has physical existence.
- The goal, end or purpose of something.
- 2000, Phyllis Barkas Goldman & John Grigni, Monkeyshines on Ancient Cultures
- :The of tlachtli was to keep the rubber ball from touching the ground while trying to push it to the opponent's endline.
- (grammar) The noun phrase which is an internal complement of a verb phrase or a prepositional phrase. In a verb phrase with a transitive action verb, it is typically the receiver of the action.
- A person or thing toward which an emotion is directed.
- Mary Jane had been the of Peter's affection for years.
- The convertible, once of his desire, was now the of his hatred.
- (computing) In object-oriented programming, an instantiation of a class or structure.
Etymology: obiectum, object, literally "thrown against", from obiectus, perfect passive participle of obiicere, to throw against, from ob-, against, + iacere, to throw
- (intransitive) To disagree with something or someone; to raise an objection.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for object for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of object