- A recurring or dominant element; a theme.
- See how the artist repeats the scroll throughout the work?
Etymology: From French motifFrench, motif (1848), with the meaning of main idea or theme
- (music) A short melodic passage that is repeated in several parts of a work
- A decorative figure that is repeated in a design
- Crystallography: The physical object or objects repeated at each point of a lattice. Usually atoms or molecules.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for motif for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of motif