- Any substance used to facilitate the fixing of a dye to a fibre; usually a metallic compound which reacts with the dye using chelation.
- (pos_vt) To subject to the action of, or imbue with, a mordant.
- mordant goods for dyeing
- Biting; caustic; sarcastic; keen; severe.
- Serving to fix colors when dyeing.
- 1964, In dyeing two mediums are required, the colouring matter and the which fixes the dye in the wool. — L.F. Salzman, English Industries of the Middle Ages, p. 208.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for mordant for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of mordant